Thread: ML blown call?
View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 12, 2009, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
See correct answer below:

Yes, it is equal responsibilty when 100% sure that a batter has been hit. The BU (or in this case, BUs) should immediatelly chime in when it is apparent that the PU did not see the ball hit the batter for whatever reason.
Unfortunately this scenario has never seem to come up in the clinics I have been to. (Never seems to be anything more then how to signal contact.)

I would definitely offer help on a throw behind the back where the HPU is unable to see the contact. But I would have a hard time calling the contact on the front of the body from the BU position, without having a request from the HPU. To go further I think it woudl be harder in a situation with a check-swing where the HPU obviously had the available vision to see the swing. In regards to this specific play, I don't think that anyone was 100% sure of what had happened which may have been the reason for call.

I understand the reasoning for this mechanic (for lack of a possibly better word), but I don't feel comfortable applying it on the field without checking with my league/association. (No offense to those of you on this board, I just would rather double-check with a phone call before, then deal with the other phone call after I use it and have a PO'd UIC on me.)
Rube (roob) slang; sports fan who listens to KFAN in Minneapolis, MN.