View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 05, 2002, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

Are you telling me if a player was lying on the ground and stuck he leg or foot out to try and make a tackle, thats legal?

The short answer? Yep.

As for kicking and tripping being one and the same (somebody wrote that a few posts ago), that's just plain nuts. The signal for tripping is there so when, let's say, lineman A6 sees he's not going to get to blitzing LB B8, he sticks his big beefy leg out and LB B8 trips over it and hits the ground. Thud. Flag. Now on the next play, when running back A2 is going through the hole and LB B8, still seething from the trip administered previously by A6, sticks his leg out and trips the speedy A2, nice play, spot the ball, blow it ready, play on. You may want to take a peek inside the rule book from time to time as it can dispel myths like this. Anything that comes after the statement, "I don't need to look in the rule book" or "I've officiated long enough to know blah blah blah" has a good chance of being wrong.

I don't know everything, but I know I don't know everything. Even things I'm pretty sure of, I look up because I owe it to the players to be as right as I can be.

[Edited by ABoselli on Dec 5th, 2002 at 08:30 PM]