View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 05, 2002, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Derock1986
[/B]
I'll be the first to admit I'm not always right and I certainly don't know every rule in the rule book nor can I quote a rule without having looking it up first but I am a seven year veteran official who has officiated over 490 football games under NFHS rules. Furthermore, just because you know all the rules and can quote them from rule book doesn't make you a good official. So if you know the rule from the NFHS rule book that says I'm incorrect, please let me know where it is--just want to read the rule for myself. [/B][/QUOTE]

I never commented on your abilities but since you have chosen to call yourself a vet, I have to say this...(and I only say it because I am sick of "vets" who think they should be listened to because they are "vets",not that that applies to you.) If you have reffed for 7 years and have that much experience (490 games), and you do not know this very simple enforcement, i.e. not setting the chains until all the fouls are dealt with, then you have MAJOR problems. Furthermore, if you have that much experience and do not even know where to find the rule in your own rulebook, you have even MORE MAJOR problems. I am not saying just because someone knows the rules backwards and forwards he is going to be a good or great official, but if an official does not know the rules, he will never be anything beyond medioocre. (And I should add...if a guy has reffed 490 games, or 49000 games, but has done them incorrectly, is he really "experienced"????)

Oh yeah, and like I said...if you had looked at the thread you would have seen one of your fellow Fed guys posted the rule reference back on Dec 4 at 1050. (2-25-5)

[Edited by TXMike on Dec 5th, 2002 at 10:17 AM]