View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 30, 2009, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
I am saying, if you are not sure enough to throw the flag but the player who delivers the hit is dazed or someone's helmet comes off or he gets up wobbling and you are not sure that loud clack was helmet on helmet, then it is pretty good bet you should have called IHC.
This, from an officiating stand point, is utter crap. It makes the assumption that a player getting dazed, a helmet coming off, or a loud crack can only happen due to IHC. That is a HUGE assumption that has no basis in fact. You just as well could assume any time a player gets up holding his neck after getting pulled to the ground is because of a face mask grab despite the fact that head can snap around because of hand contact to the helmet or a grab on the inside front of the jersey/shoulder pads rather than grabbing and twisting the mask. The bottom line is we can only call what we see and what we see without a doubt.

The article you posted is revealing in the problem of it not being called enough. We already know IHC is potentially devastating. And the number of times it was called does seem low. Of course the "study" does not tell us how many situations arose in which it could have been called, or how many times the call was passed on because the viewing angle was bad, or the contact was not initiated with the helmet, or the variety of other reasons that you have been told about repeatedly here but refuse to accept why it may not be called.

Do I think IHC is probably not called enough? Absolutely. Do I think the majority of the video examples you have shown us do not rise to the level of it being called for a variety of reasons? Absolutely. You seem to continue with this rant of even if it's close it needs to be called. That's not the way any foul works. Sorry.