View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 28, 2009, 01:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
I see zero helmet contact in Fig 3. In the blocks I posted there was definitely helmet contact as well as shoulder contact.
If the shoulder contact is first (and honestly you will never totally eliminate any helmet contact) then it is not illegal.

It is interesting that you have tried to show a study, which is interesting, but not relevant. If everyone was really interested in player safety, you would across the board advocate hiring more officials to work games and not pay the chain crew more than you do the game officials on any given night (an issue in our area). You claim that officials do not call anything, but you probably have never advocated for more officials on a particular game. And in these clips you have shown, I bet there were no more than 5 officials at one time on those games (and likely fewer). But guys like you that are so worried about coach's safety, probably never factor this in the equation in your remedy. Instead you just say that we do not call it or we do not care, but you put us in a situation where it is harder automatically to cover the game. And this is why the angle of the video is important, because this few at best would have been from a deep wing. A deep wing likely would have not seen the play any different than most of us, but if the other officials knew they had other areas of the field covered, they would maybe see this play better and make a call if they could. I bet that has never crossed your mind or and it is certainly something you have not said. It is one thing to claim something is wrong, it is another thing to find a solution. And if so many officials based on their actual game experience (something you do not have) are telling you they do not see a foul, then you need to do more to advocate more experienced officials on the field if your main concern is player safety. What this tells me that you have likely done none of this, you are not really concerned with that issue, and you just want us to do your job for you. You have even stated earlier that you could not get a kid of yours to stop doing something because the officials were not calling him for IHC, but you knowing sent this kid out to commit illegal acts and you sat by and did nothing. And the player that usually gets hurt, is the player that is using their helmet (which was the case in Figure 2, from the kid from Ole Miss and not only was in a wheel chair, but later died to complications of his football injury). The player that got hit was fine. It just illustrates that you are full of hot air like many coaches that complain about what is not called. You have at your disposal a lot of tools to change the system but you choose not to.

Peace