View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 03, 2000, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Thom Coste
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by DrC.
But this was a question about the batter-runner who, UNINTENTIONALLY, kicked the ball out of play. How about interference, you ask? Carl Childress to the rescue. His BRD Update 2000 revives play #250, which effectively states that in FED and NCAA, a batter-runner must INTENTIONALLY interfere, or no interference shall be called and the result of the play stands. In OBR, the umpire must make a judgement on the impact of the act on the play and may rule interference or not.
Thom: NCAA 7-11o is clear: If the batter-runner does not intentionally interfere with the dropped third strike, the umpire should not call interference.

My "opinion" is that Evans is right: The B-R should be out if he kicks that ball accidentally, where the kick prevents the catcher from making a play. But....

My "opinion" is not the FED nor the NCAA rule. You asked about college. Here is the exact language of the book:

"[The batter-runner is out when he] intentionally interferes with the catcher's attempt to field a third strike."

Their theory is, as you suggested: The catcher had his chance and blew it. We may moan and groan all we like: In your game the B-R was not out.

But you said you guys consulted a book. It must have been a cook book, 'cause 7-11o is fairly specific. (grin)