View Single Post
Old Sun Jul 19, 2009, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumpire View Post
We all obviously live and ump in different worlds!!!

One of the many reason I might signal "Do Not Pitch" is because I am waiting for a baserunner who was legally off the base (i.e., foul-ball) to return to their base.....therefore; NO, NOT OUT!!!
Sorry, that isn't a "Do not Pitch"; that is "I haven't made the ball live after a foul ball, yet".

Quote:
What rule is this? What CAN happen during this live ball "Do Not Pitch"? (other than an appeal)
You could have a live ball appeal (since the ball is live); but not a dead ball appeal (because the ball isn't dead). Otherwise, name EVERYTHING that could happen when the ball is live, and you DON'T have the "Do not Pitch" up, and all of those (except a legal pitch and a 20 second violation by the pitcher) can happen.

Without considering this list complete, I would say 1) illegal pitch by pitcher, 2) quickpitch (no pitch) by pitcher), 3) request for "time" by either team (which may or may not be granted), 4) runner could illegally leave base prior to pitch, 5) batter can violate the 10 second rule by failing to enter the batter's box when directed, 6) offensive coach might leave the coaching box and effect an offensive conference, 7) live ball appeal (already noted), 8) pitcher might leave the circle, allowing baserunners to advance.

Anyone else adding anything that can happen during a live ball with the ball in the circle in pitcher's possession??