View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 02, 2002, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Ok, after typing out my answer, I went back and realized that it was a HS game. But I'm too lazy to take out all the college stuff. Proceed at your own risk.

Quote:
Originally posted by theboys
The officials called a 'T' (because the shooter already had the ball?). B1 shot the technical (2 FT's), making both. Team A's lane was then cleared, and A1 shot his free-throw (from the foul), which he missed. The officials then directed both teams to half-court where they prepared to admininster a throw-in for team B.

Wow. Ok, is this a HS game or a college game? Either way, the officials screwed up. But they screwed up worse if it was a college game.

HS: shoot them in the order they occur. 1 FT for the personal (lane cleared), then 2 for the T (lane cleared), ball to B due to the T. If this was a HS game, then it's kind of "all's well that ends well" b/c they shot all the FTs they were supposed to and they gave the ball to the correct team after the FTs. They shot them out of order, but at least they continued correctly after the FTs.

College: shoot the T first and then go to the POI (and then tear up the rest of your schedule!). They administered the FTs in the correct order, but should have allowed the lane to be filled during A's FT and played off the miss.

Quote:
But, wait there's more! After A1 missed the FT, he told the refs they had administered the FTs in the wrong order, that it was a correctable error, that the technicals scored by B should be removed from the book, and both teams be required to shoot again, in reverse order.
This is a very tough point. In fact, this was a question on the ECAC refresher test this year, and I still don't know the correct answer. What do you do if you administer the FTs in the wrong order? I honestly don't think it's correctable; it doesn't fit under any of the items in 2-10. I think if this was a HS game, that the officials did the correct thing by continuing from where they were. If it were a college game, I think you have to let all the FTs stand and go to the arrow. Ouch.

Chuck