View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

On the subject of OBS, had a non-call last night that the OC argued (and PU, my partner tried to overrule me, kind of, but that is another story).

14U, OBR, R2, I'm BU in C. Batter doubles to left center. F4 had come into the infield on the play and then was moving to cover 2nd, BR is heading into 2nd as the throw is coming into F6 - who is standing about 20' away from 2B in line with F7. I see that BR is slowing up but he notices that F4 is coming toward the base at the same time and there might be contact. So BR adjusts his path slightly (a step or so) to touch centerfield edge of the base and miss F4. The problem is F4 saw what was going to happen and stopped advancing so he wouldn't be in BR's way. He never actually got in BR's path and there was no contact as the runner cut in front of F4 and touched the base.

I made no call at all since nothing happened and no one was advancing. OC wanted OBS called and his runner put at 3rd. I said there wasn't actually OBS; his runner adjusted his path because he THOUGHT F4 was going to be in his way, but F4 stopped to prevent that so it wasn't the defense's fault that the runner adjusted anyway. And besides, the runner had no intention of advancing past 2nd, so he wasn't going to get an extra base out of it.

OC seemed to accept that but was curious if you had other thoughts. Realize this might be a HTBT, but appreciate feedback.