View Single Post
Old Sun Jul 05, 2009, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Double Foul - Question 2

I mixed up a case play in the other "Double Foul" post and made the thread a little confusing. Even with my incorrectly typed play, the input was good and thought provoking. Thanks.

The reason for that thread and this were some "Redding" case plays that I did not follow fully. I would love to have input from you folks on two plays from Redding's Chapter 5, "Additional Examples":

Quote:
7. Third and eight on Team A's 30 yard line. A7 drops back to pass, and is unable to find an open receiver. A7 grounds the ball at his 22 yard line and is then tackled by B77 who could have avoided the contact. RULING: Interional grounding and the late hit result in a doulbe foul and the down is replayed. Roughing the passer cannot be called on an illegal forward pass.
Quote:
30. Third and one on Team A's 40 yard line. A11 rolls out and throws a pass. He is hit hard by B2 who could have avoided the contact, but renewed his charge after the pass was released. When A11 threw the ball he was on Team A's .... (b) 42 yard line. RULING: ... In (b), A11 lost his protection from roughing when he threw from beyond the neutral zone. B2 could be guilty of unnecessary roughness and if so, the fouls would offset.
[The bold in both are mine.]

In NFHS, wouldn't both fouls in both case plays be enforced separately. I would think they are not offsetting fouls. In number 7, I see a live ball foul and a separate dead ball foul. In number 30, situation (b), I see a personal foul of "unnecessary roughness" away from the play that would also be enforced like a dead ball foul.

Am I missing something?