View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 02, 2009, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
I think they should be the standard bearer of what umpires should be. The best of the best.
Kyle I do not think we will ever get the "best of the best" unless the dinamics change.

In other professions you can make a decent living at the apprentice (learning ) level before you move up. In other words while you are "earning your stripes" you are not starving.

Look at the pay scale of a minor league umpire. Heck you can make more money by being a manager at Walmart.

Also, I believe you have so many years in the minors to "make it" after that you simply get a letter from MLB telling you MLB no longer requires your services. No severance pay no nothing.

How is that kind of system going to attract the "best of the best" It attracts those that can Live within those perameters. Ie; no family to support or if you are lucky a wife who makes good bucks etc. etc.

Also, being a MLB umpire is like being on the US Supreme Court meaning you are there for life for all practical purposes. How many spots are open each year? It is not that many

Therefore, until the dinamics change IMO, you will not see the best of the best.

Pete Booth