View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 01, 2009, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

Ok before I answer we need to agree on some stuff.

Once B1 (defendent) has planted both feet on the playing court and faces A1 (torso to torso) legal guarding position has been obtained. This can last 1 sec or 10 minutes rule does not indicate length of time. (4.23.1-2) . This establishing of LGP can happen when A1 is at his/her BC whilst B1 is in theirs. Rule says that quite clearly (there is no minimum distance required...."(4.23.1)). Agreed? (Note there are specific rules for A1 and B1 ). Also B1 might just be standing feet planted and A1 places their torso facing B1... Legal guarding, nothing about guard having to initiate.

Now rule continues saying that if the distance (toe to toe(?)) between A1 and B1 is 6feet or less and in the FC then we have a Cloesly guarded situation which requires a count if in the FC of A1(9.10). Agreed?

So before going forth, When would a guarded situation end? I do not recall any rules specifically answering that, however by ommision one would say the current Defense becomes the offense; no TC, dead ball....

Once legal guarded position has been established, the rule specifically says the guard "is not required to continue facing the opponent". (4.23.3 a-e)
which means that the offensive player can turn around and give the LG defender their back.

So once B1 has established LG position and closes on A1 to a distance of 6 feet or less, then a count should start(assuming we are in the FC) OR if B1 had obtained LG and A1 advances towards B1 and is within the 6 feet radius again a count should be started.

This is as simple as it gets.

Now to answer "
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
And what does "credit should be given to the defense" mean? Do you realize that making such a statement indicates that you have a personal philosophy toward this rule that colors your thinking about it?

Isn't this fun?
As far as I see it there are 2 teams on the court. So any officiate deviation from the rules could give an advatage to one side or the other. We are not on the floor to decide which rules are to be applied or to be moved aside for game A versus B.
My philosohy about this rule is simple. If legal Guarding was obtained and A1 and B1 are within 6feet of each other in the FC of the offense a count HAS to start; the rule says it.
If the defense is good enough to keep the offensive away from the basket they obviously are doing a good job ; same if the offense manages to move past the CGP. On the other hands if the offense wants to waste time, this rule will make sure they play or loose the ball (edited ILMALTi).

Yes this is a lot of fun, since by this type of discussion we open our minds

Thank you

Last edited by ILMalti; Wed Jul 01, 2009 at 06:34pm.