View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 29, 2009, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcblue View Post
18A Sate team that wins goes receives a National birth, team that loses goes in to the looser bracket. R1 on 2nd, R2 on 1st, no outs. Fly ball to short center field. I was BU came in and button hooked in and saw a diving catch by F8. I signal to the PU that I had a catch. Because of the location of the ball R1 and R2 were half way to their next base. Next thing I see that they both take off to the next base. At this point I am wondering if the ball hit the ground first. I did not hear an out call, so I look back and he is given a week out signal (fist never made it above the shoulder). The Defense throws the ball to second to appeal R1 not tagging up and then the fielder tags R2. 3 outs, game over, s*** hits the fan.
I don’t think my partner had a clue whether the ball hit the ground first or not. I was coming around and was not set, but I am positive I saw the ball go in to the glove.

Do you give a catch sign to your partner or do you wait for your partner to ask what you saw (if coach request help and your partner ask)?
Speaking ASA...

The catch or no catch is called by the PU, period. The only exception to this is if you turn your back to the infield and go out, and that's something you should never do UNLESS you've already pregamed it (otherwise, your partner will be dragging you under the bus along with him).

If I'm out on the bases, I will not make the call. At this point, I'm buttonhooking into the infield at a decent jog. If I get a deer in headlights look from my partner, AND I'm certain that I saw a catch or no catch, I'll give a very subtle signal to my partner (again, PREGAME). It'll either look like I'm pumping a blood pressure cuff next to my hip (catch), or I'll wiggle my hand with my palm down next to my hip (no catch). In all my years, no one has ever seen it (knock on wood) except for my partners.

It sounds like your partner was uncertain of the call, as you described his out call as weak. Not good for your partner. It would have been wise for him to have conference with you. Even if you both get the call wrong, it's better than making a weak-a$$ call and then bailing off the field.

However, you should not have made the call for a catch or no catch unless you pregamed it, and it would have been better if you'd gone out to the outfield instead of buttonhooking in.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.