View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 26, 2009, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

If you deviate communicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
Also, with no runners on, the BU should take the runner all the way to third. If I call them off in this situation, that means that they either a) fell, b) tripped and almost fell causing them to lose several steps, or c) aren't doing their job.
Have you ever heard "If you deviate communicate"? There is nothing wrong with deviating from the mechanics. The ASA Mechanics manual even says so. Now I don't deviate much because I believe that in most situations I see no reason to. And you should have a good and logical reason for doing so. For example, I will call my partner off at Third if I have to go up the line on a ball hit to left field. Why not? I'm already there. To suggest that they are not during their job is not accurate. They may have 4 games in a row that night and the PU is trying to save the BU's legs. There's nothing wrong with taking the call at Third in this situation. However, you should pre-game it. Again, I don't deviate much, but when I do its for a good reason. Not just because I don't like the mechanic. I never deviate for that reason. In fact calling my partner off at Third is the only time I do deviate. Every other instance I follow the prescribed mechanic.