View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 25, 2009, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post

If the batter lets go of the bat and it caused the catcher to have a bad throw to any base, then we have int.
This is something better explained with actions than words.
Quote:
Batter swings so hard that the bat comes around and hits catcher as he is throwing the ball and making him drop it. Did the batter leave the box? NO. Did the batter intend to do this? We will never know but, he did do it and it caused int, therefore it is enforced (or at least should be).
Then, it is nothing in OBR at least and no outs are recorded. Only runners sent back.

Quote:
Another example is when a batter swigs so hard his momentum carries him across the plate. At the time of the throw hie was technically still in the box, but at the completion he had to step over the plate to regain his balance.

Batter: "I didn't do that on purpose."
Umpire: "I never said you did but, your still out"
Then, he left the box which is part of the BI rule.

What I meant is, if he is just standing in the box and does nothing other than standing there(minus any time to react and move out of the way), then no INT is called. But, if he does something "unusual" (as JM put it), then BI is called. And, if he does something "unusual" for this call, then it would probably have been done with some deliberation. Such as, he tosses his bat on Ball 4 and it hits the catcher's throw to F5. It was tossed deliberately thus his actions were deliberate. He INT accidentally but tossed the bat deliberately. If he ducked out of the way of the pitch and stood up afterwards, that would not be deliberate as much as it would be reactionary and no INT called. But, tossing the bat is more deliberate than reactionary.

That is all I meant. It is hard to explain what I meant in words. Much of this probably is better in person but I know how to call BI. I just don't know how I can better explain what I meant.