Thread: Opinions please
View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 24, 2009, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Hell, he may have even HELPED the defense if the ball rolled back towards fair territory.

I had a similar play a couple years ago that I believe I mentioned on the forum. A hard throw to 3B came from left center or centerfield, but it was off. It bounced off the fence and hit the on-deck batter in the foot (who was honestly trying to avoid the ball) while he was in the circle. The ball popped up a couple of feet in the air, and F1 (who was backing up the throw) was able to catch it in mid-air and throw to F2 to attempt to retire the runner. The runner was safe, but it was a VERY close play.

The defense wanted an INT call, but if the ball hadn't have hit the on-deck batter, it would have gone to the backstop where no one was covering. If anything, the bounce it took off the on-deck batter's foot helped, not hindered, the defense.
You need to be careful, though. The ODB does not enjoy the same protection as a coach. Being in the circle or trying to avoid being hit does not excuse the ODB from an INT call.