Thread: foul or travel?
View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 24, 2009, 01:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsl View Post
A1 and B1 are both chasing a loose ball, with lots of incidental contact. A1 jumps in front of B1, controls the ball in mid air and lands with both feet simultaneously. A1's momentum, combined with a generous bump from B1, causes A1 to take a rather large hop with both feet.

Is this

(1) foul on B1
(2) travelling on A2
(3) no call

This happened in a rec league game. I could not call foul on B1, they both had equal rights to the ball and neither had position. In real time, I saw the hop and called travel, but now that I have time to think I might go with a no call. This might be a HTBT situation, but what do you think?
The only clearly incorrect choice is #3.

The action which you have described MUST be either a foul or a travel.

The referee gets to make a judgment decision about the amount of contact and whether it placed A2 at a disadvantage or not. If the referee decides that A2 got to that spot of the floor first, then B1 is not allowed to bump him out of it whether he has the ball or not. That's a foul.

If the contact occurred prior to A2 reaching that spot, then it could be ruled incidental, but the transgression made by A2 in his footwork after controlling the ball can't be overlooked.

From reading your description, I would be most likely to charge B1 with a foul.