Thread: Injuries
View Single Post
Old Sat Jun 13, 2009, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
First was a batter swung at a pitch and took the ball off the wrist. Initially, she was going to leave the game. The team was batting 8 at the time and obviously had no substitutes. Coach asked "now what?" I didn't recall anything in their bylaws about this situation, so I told him that he would have to take an out if the girl couldn't return to bat. He wanted the next batter to come up and assume the count, but I said that would constitute batting out of order. The injured girl did return to bat and took a called 3k. If she had not been able to return, would the out be the proper call?
If there are no local rules addressing this situation, then the association is probably reverting back to ASA rules. If they are already shorthanded, they can't go even more shorthanded. The game, unfortunately, would be a forfeit.

Quote:
Second situation was the team fielding 9 had a batter take a pitch off the ankle and left the game. Again, no substitutes, so I allowed a courtesy runner [last out made] to replace her on first base.
Is this a local rule? As far as I know, ASA does not allow this (but I don't call FP, so someone else will need to verify this). The rule as I understand it only pertains to the pitcher and catcher (ASA 8-10-A through F).

Quote:
So now the injured player is out of the game. She did not return to her defensive position, so the team went from 9 to 8 [also allowed per bylaws].
...and by ASA...

Quote:
During the course of the game, she missed her at-bat(s) w/ no penalty, and did not play defense. In the last inning, one of her teammates had to leave, and the coach asked if she could return to play defense. I initially stated that she could not, but we had a league official-type person there, and he said she could go in on defense. I think this may be a case of the bylaws superceding ASA. Did I have the ASA application correct? I.E. Player could not return after leaving due to injury [which was not blood rule related]?
As far as ASA goes, no. If the player leaves the game and no subs are available, the team may continue playing shorthanded. However, once they leave under these circumstances, they may not return to the lineup (4-1-D-f), unless it's for the blood rule (Exception under ASA 4-1).

However, if the person running the league (or someone who is authorized to speak for the league) says it's okay, it's okay. That's their problem, not yours.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.