View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

The Umpire's Not so subtle Signal...

I've been trying to find the photo but it is lost.

2006 season, District game, home team needs a win to secure a spot in the state tourney, visiting team is 95% guaranteed at least a wild card on points. I was filling in as LJ on home team sideline with a crew I had never worked with before. Me and HL and BJ were all spot on, our U and R were from Mars I think.

Anyway Great game. Tie game - 7 to play in 4th quarter 3rd and goal inside the 5 for home team. FB dive over right guard. FB ends up 3 yards deep in the end zone. Both HL and I are crashing in with the spot...knee down ball clearly at the 1. U AND R are signalling TD.

So we put the ball 4th and goal at the 1 they kick the FG and on the insuing kickoff give up a TD return and loose the game.

This was a town not far from my work, so I was in the gas station Monday and picked up a newspaper: Front Page photo shows the FB standing in the end zone with the ball and the U and R signalling touchdown and on the very edge you can see me mid-stride at the 1 right hand in the air, left hand pointing at the ground. Caption reads something like: "Although the officials signalled touchdown they shorted 'Bob Smith' on his touchdown run, Eagles settled for FG and ended up loosing, thus being denied their state playoff bid"

I now tell my U that if he has both hands in the air, I'm cutting one of them off.