View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 04, 2009, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWH View Post
AJMC, aka Alf, aka ALupstateNY,

Before you begin your hollowed routine of lenghty and nefarious attacks against actual on-field officials, perhaps you should consider what some on this board are suggesting, which, quite frankly is, YOU need to look in the mirror!
Excuse me, KWH, but what, "lenghty and nefarious attacks against actual on-field officials" are you referring to. Is it against your "code" or otherwise prohibited to offer a different perspective to rigid dictates by an annointed few who believe thay see all things so much clearer than everyone else?

Regarding this discussion, you don't mind focusing on this discussion, a question was raised regarding "mirroring" in a situation which could be understood as multiple officials signalling a TD, which over the years I've noticed is fairly common and consistent, at least at the locations and levels I've worked.

I am in total agreement that "mirroring" a penalty flag, a bean bag or any other signal where you have no idea why the original flag or bag was thrown is a really bad practice and can cause a lot of trouble. But the idea that multiple officials signalling what they have actually seen is wrong, is as bad an idea as "mirroring".

Once again, the terms "never" and "always" only serve to throw mud on the subject. Do you have a problem with my referencing the NFHS Official's Manual, that suggests, basically, if you see it, call it when you don't see it, don't.

Of course we all should understand, when another official calls something the ooposite of what we intend to call, it's better to withhold your signal, go to the other official, review and discuss what each of you have seen and agree on which signal should be correct.

I don't know if it's a universal practice, but what I've been taught about the TD signal, is when you see a TD scored you signal, whether on not someone else has signalled (which you may or may not be aware of). If you believe a TD was not scored (a knee on the 2 yd line) you signal NOTHING. You run to the other official and tell him what you SAW. God wiling, he will join you in reporting the correct call to the Referee.

If you didn't see the score or don't know what happened, get with your crew mates and find out, before even thinking about any signal (which at that point is unnecessary).

Sometimes coaches get confused and upset with changed, delayed or incorrect signals. A good Referee will choose to deal with that and clear things up. A concise, factual explanation will satisfy most coaches, those that are not satisfied will have to learn to deal with disappointment.

If you've got a better way KWH, I'm all ears, if you have something relevant or of some value to offer. I speak with the face in my mirror often, and find he's really hard to BS. Have you taken any time to chat with the face in your mirror?