View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 03, 2009, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral View Post
I suppose I should have been more descriptive with my question. It isn't about mirroring, although it is a good discussion. Last season, I had a goal line play. Team A runs up the gut into a pile. U had the ball in, I thought it was in, but was looking at the blocking - not the ball position. BJ was on end line, and couldn't see the action. I checked both wings - HL was crashing in with a spot, LJ straddling the goal line. HL did not have a clear view of the ball once the runner hit the line, but saw his knee touch. LJ had his view completely obstructed. U relayed he had the ball in before the knee touched, but neither wing would signal. In a situation like this, is it acceptable for U to signal? It turns out that A fumbled into the end zone on the next play and B recovered.

I would say "no" because this play was the HL's call. He had the knee down. The U offered his opinion that the ball was in before the knee was down, but obviously the HL didn't agree. He has to make the call and he did - no TD, down at the 1 or wherever.

You describe it as "neither wing would signal", but that's just a backhanded way of saying the HL ruled he was down at the 1. He made a decision and it was his to make so the U should not try and overrule him.

I had this play once as an U. I swear the guy fumbled at the one, but the wing ruled TD so that's what it was. B recovered in the endzone on that play too, but the wing had the proper position so you have to trust his judgment.

Last edited by Jim D.; Wed Jun 03, 2009 at 01:04pm.