View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 03, 2009, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm21711 View Post
What do you wear? CK?
I wear (have worn) several different brands in many colors: Honig's, PlusPOS, Dalco, Majestic, Smitty's, Logo, Cliff Keen, Cliff Keen-Gerry Davis, Official's Choice. I constantly rotate, so they never really get worn out or faded. I try a lot of brands, but no one brand is really exceptional--even the high-priced ones like Honig's and Cliff Keen. I haven't tried the new Ump-Attire brand, because I don't need any more navy shirts. (I'll get yet another black one when they start making them.)

I can say that the shirt with the most uncomfortable fabric and the shoddiest workmanship is the Gerry Davis Signature shirt made by Cliff Keen. The regular Cliff Keen is a good (not great) shirt, but not at its inflated price. The GD version is dreadful. I won't even give it away; it just sits on a shelf. I can't believe CK put their name and logo on it. (Gerry Davis, I can believe.)

Comfort really depends on the weather. If it's over 100 degrees, the thinnest, lightest one is the most comfortable. But overall, the most comfortable, durable and best performing shirt is probably Smitty's or Majestic. The Smitty's is a little thinner than the Majestic, but not as thin as Official's Choice or Dalco, which is what you wear when it's really hot. And it's a better value. Official's Choice shirts of several years ago had a different fabric than the see-through fabric that they now produce. I had navy, cream and powder in the early-issue fabric and they are okay to wear in the heat. But I wouldn't go near anything Official's Choice made in the last two years (non-standard colors and trim styles, in addition to that awful see-through fabric.) But if I get stuck wearing powder or cream, I wear those. I prefer gray or MLB polo blue in the heat, and I have those colors in Dalco, Smitty's or PlusPOS (which is another favorite).

I have fun with all the brands and colors. I like to match no matter what color is called for. I like to have a clean shirt no matter how many games I work in a week, and I like to have a nice, crisp, new-looking shirt no matter what. Also, some of the assignments require shirts without patches, so I have sets of black and MLB blue with and without patches. It's worth a few extra bucks to have plenty of shirts, and it's also worth it to have each color in two sizes for plate and base work.

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Wed Jun 03, 2009 at 12:04pm.