Thread: Showboat dunk
View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 22, 2002, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Love2ref4Ever
Talking Showboat Dunk!

Hey,
Do I detect some anger coming from Mr. Rogers neighborhood?
Can anyone tell me if I missed something here in Chuck's original post? I could have swore that there was no mention of this paticular play taking place in a High School,College, or NBA game. So I was just sharing my expierence with this kind of play, and not knocking any official who feels that this play should be called depending on the rule book definition, If there was a traveling violation. Now, let me touch on this tournament that I mentioned in my previous reply. The Entertainers Basketball Classic is a summer league that is sanctioned by the NCAA, and the NBA. And yes, this league draws players from the NCAA and NBA on a regular bassis. And the type of play that Chuck is describing in this post is common in this league. Do we call traveling on this play in this league or any other High School, College, or NBA game? I have yet to see anyone make this call, but maybe after this post someone will see it and share it with us. And as far as the officials who work this league,there are some pretty good D1, D2, and D3 college officials on staff. And as far as myself is concerned, I don't think our officiating skills are watered down! In fact this league has helped me in some areas of officiating. Such as handling coaches, players, and the most important for me was the crowd. This park is packed and you get called everything but the "child of god" out there. This league has helped me relax on the court, and referee big! Is this league for every official? NO, then don't knock, it until you try it. And as far as attacking me for just sharing my expierence, it's cool. This league also helped me develope a tuff skin. So the next time you get upset because of the word "entertainment," you may want to remeber that basketball is a game! And we as officials must learn how to adapt to all types of levels of basketball games. And, the ones that learn how to adapt, usually get the big games. So as the kids would say here in Harlem, New York. Don't hate the players, hate the game!