Thread: Showboat dunk
View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 21, 2002, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Making The traveling Call

Quote:
Originally posted by Love2ref4Ever
As an official sometimes we need to remember that the game is entertainment for the fans. It's not always about calling everything, but the good officials know when to pass on stuff. There is a summer league here in Harlem, New York called The Entertainers Basketball Classic. This tournament is played in the world famous Rucker Park. On a daily bassis you will see dunks like this and some other crazy plays, but if you want to last in this league you will more than likely pass on this paticular play, and some others similar. Trust me, it works for me in this league!Pick your spots carefully when making some calls, because the call you pass on may be the on that helps you get noticed by the right people.
Excuse me, but reffing high school basketball is NOT entertainment for the fans. This is NOT the NBA (which is strictly entertainment). I do not want to be part of the tournament you are describing simply becuase it waters down my (and all officials') credibility. The name of the tournament says it all, and that is OK, if you enjoy it. But to compare it to high school, or college, where we strive to referee a fair game for the players, by the rules, is absurd. If the call I stick to, by rule, doesn't get me where I want to go, then so be it. But, at least I will be able to look at myself in the mirror the next day, as a referee, not an entertainer.

Sorry about the rant. This ticked me off.