Thread: Multiple Foul ?
View Single Post
Old Thu May 28, 2009, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walter View Post
I don't think that is what Brad wrote. I tend to agree with him. Brad is still saying we penalize both fouls but is saying, if at all possible, avoid the simultaneous foul ruling. In the OP, I don't care when the whistles sounded. My discussion with my partner(s) would have been , can we determine whether one foul happened before the other? If B's foul happened first, that gets penalized first and then we penalize the foul on A2 and resume from there. If A2's foul happened first and after the ball was in the air, penalize that foul first and then shoot the free throw for B's foul with players lined up. If there is absolutely no way to decide which happened first, then the simultaneous route is appropriate. I agree with Brad though, if you can determine the order do it.
Walter,
You need to read the OP again, and review the rules for live ball and dead ball.
The foul against the shooter seems to occur AFTER he has released the ball, but before he has returned to the floor. If that is the case, then the ball will remain live until the try ends. Therefore, if the foul by the player near the basket also occurred AFTER the try was in flight, then it doesn't matter which one came first. They are both live ball fouls and MUST be penalized BY RULE. Under such circumstances there is no provision for penalizing one foul and ignoring the other. That would be setting aside the rules. Unfortunately, that is exactly what Brad recommends. Nowhere in his post does Brad recommend penalizing both fouls. He says that is "the worst option." Instead he says to pick only one, even when the officials can't tell which one happened first!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
If you can't figure out which one came first, then choose the most obvious foul and/or the one that makes the most sense.
He is completely wrong BY RULE.

The only way that just a single foul could be called on this play is if it was determined that A2's foul occurred BEFORE A1 released the ball on the try for goal. That would make the ball dead immediately and there wouldn't be a try or a foul against the airborne shooter. However, that was clearly not the case here according to the timing stated by the OP.

I don't know how the two officials would determine which foul came first if they were each watching the action in their areas of coverage. It would be impossible to say. Fortunately, I've already told you that it doesn't matter and that BY RULE both fouls are to be penalized. Furthermore, the simultaneous foul rule says that the fouls only have to take place at "approximately the same time." That certainly fits the OP's description.