View Single Post
Old Wed May 27, 2009, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
I was thinking the same thing. It is tough to tell from the op, but do you feel you gave him ample oppurtunity to articulate completely? And I am not saying that you should be holding umpiring forums for discussions either, nor am I sympathatic to sitting his rear on the wood.
I believe I did. He just kept repeating himself, "That's a point of emphasis...I can't believe it...What are you calling?". I just kept politely and calmly asking him to "talk with me". Then after a few words quietly he would quickly escalate his voice to a yell and repeat the same thing. I was told last night that the whole incident was on the news Monday night. In fact the co-anchor after viewing the clip said "that umpire is one cool and calm fellow. I wish I had his patience and poise". I haven't seen the clip unfortunately. I am going to try to get ahold of it. If I do, I'll post it somewhere.

I learned quickly in basketball if you ask ask calmly and politely for the coach to "talk with me", usually it'll settle them right down. The technique I guess (usually) works because the coach knows you're going to listen. *Shrug*

-Josh