Thread: Not dribbling?
View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 20, 2002, 05:38pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:
Originally posted by stan-MI
I agree with Mick. Setting the ball on the floor and picking it up looks like a dribble to me, so the start of the second dribble is a violation.
I disagree about it being a dribble. The case of the player sitting on the floor comes to mind. It is a travel for that player to place the ball on the floor, stand up, and pick up the ball. Yet, that player may legally start a dribble and stand up. So, placing the ball on the floor and picking it up is not a dribble.

Now, consider the exceptions to the traveling rule where a player tosses the ball over the head of an opponent and catches the ball before dribbling the ball to the floor. That is considered traveling...the player is considered to be "virtually" holding the ball. If he tosses the ball up while standing stationary, nothing. I believe these situations are analogous to the one at hand. The player deliberately releases the ball but has done so while still in full control. If the pivot foot moves in the meantime, it is a travel. If the pivot foot doesn't move, nothing.
Camron,
Your cases are fine, but are not the same.
In your cases, you have taken the "Floor" out of consideration, and that creates "a whole nother smoke".
mick