View Single Post
Old Mon May 25, 2009, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
Gentlemen, based upon the description of this alone, this is a rules violation.

I agree with Ozzy that some officials "like to make up rules and adjust rules to fit situations," however, there are many out there that don't have the gioonies (SP) enough to use the rules that are in the book appropriately and make it a hey-day for other officials when they do.

I have no problem with cheering, clapping and team spirit encouragement but, when the so intent is to gain an advantage in violation of the rules then it is my job to enforce them. I agree it is umpires judgement here but, I have had situations with runners on third clapping and yelling at the pitcher with a clear intent to get the pitcher to balk. "Hey Blue, no one ever said that was illegal before." Whole teams beginning rythmatic chanting only when a runner is on third and the pitcher is come set. It then increases in volume as the pitcher gets ready to pitch. "Hey Blue, no one ever said that was illegal before."

For the most part, I agree with everything said here but, I just want to point out that discretion is just as important in knowing when not to insert yourself in the game, as it is when you should be enforcing the rules.
Clear intent ? Perhaps they are merely trying to put the pitcher's focus on themselves (the baserunners), rather than his duty at hand, making a quality pitch. I draw a distinction between attempting to cause a balk and "shaking up" the pitcher. There is no rule, of which I am aware, that would prevent a runner from attempting to unnerve the pitcher.