View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 19, 2002, 09:20pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Many, many officials, including ones here, mistakenly believe that the calling official is to go to the division line after reporting the time out. To do so would often (but not always) be incorrect.

Put simply, the official who will administer the throw-in/FT should, after the timeout is reported by the calling official, go to the spot that it will be administered. The other official should take the position on the division line. That person may or may not be the one who called the timeout.

It doesn't matter who calls it. It doesn't matter what the positions were when it was called.

Said another way...If the ball becomes dead for a timeout and the throw-in will be on your line, you take the ball to the spot after the report and your partner goes to the
division line. If it will be on your partner's line, they take the ball to the spot and you go to the division line.

That said, I'm guessing that over 50% of the officials that I work with do it differently...the calling official goes to the division line. I just go along. No need making an issue of a rather trivial issue.
Camron,
Makes sense, but is it written?

Thanks
mick