Thread: Rookie Question
View Single Post
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

To add a little clarification to my previous post (that I was going to provide until my boss came in and wanted to work on a project - damn work!), there is a note after my quoted section...

Quote:
NOTE: These tag-up procedures should be followed at all times, UNLESS there is COMMUNICATION between both umpires. These responsibilities are covered in the duties listed on the following pages.
The caps were not done by me, they were done by ASA. We can't emphasize enough that umpires need to communicate before, during and after the game. If you pregame this kind of deviation, you shouldn't run into problems with double-calls.

ASA is a little rigid when it comes to mechanics and responsibilities. As such, deviations from said mechanics and responsibilities. However, when you have tens of thousands of registered umpires across the US that need to be trained from the ground up, a little rigidity is to be expected.

But that's a whole 'nother debate we won't get into. My only goal here is to relay what the book says.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.