View Single Post
Old Tue May 19, 2009, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Kincer View Post
Great advice guys thanks. Has this ever happened to you where the coach became very upset to the point he was delaying progress of the game by argueing with you? I for one have had happen to me and it was a rec league game which also uses NFHS Rulebook. Ill let him say what he needs to say but the second a profane word comes out of his mouth my flag is in the air.
Last year I had a coach who had coached his receivers to block downfield if they weren't the intended receiver. I was BJ and had 5 OPI calls, more in one game than I've had the 2 previous seasons. The first OPI our WH forgot to enforce the LOD provision. I was starting my count for the next down and realized it so I blew and came in to ensure proper enforcement, well it took 3 minutes to convince the coach we were right. The WH let the coach take control of the conversation. I would not let that happen, but it was his crew not mine. After all 5 OPI calls the coach demanded an explanation, and our WH had me give it to him. In NE we use a running clock rule in the 2nd half with a 35 point differential. THe clock ran the entire 4th quarter, but our game time was still close to 3 hours. It was rediculous!

I will say, a coach deserves a little explanation, but not a conversation. The rules equip him with the right to request what we call a coach-referee conference, it just costs him a timeout, unless he is right.