View Single Post
Old Sat Nov 16, 2002, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
I agree with how many of you have been dealing with injuries. My point was, now that it is a rule, will anything change?

I am uncomfortable with a rule that mandates that I judge the difference between a serious injury and a not serious injury. (overreacting, again, I know)

As it was, the most I had to deal with if I stopped play was making an opposing coach look like an unfeeling, uncaring ogre. Not too difficult!

Now, I may have to deal with a coach making me feel like an unfeeling, uncaring ogre, or even worse, deal with legal problems because "any reasonable person should have known the injury was serious."

Seems to me like the change was unnecessary and has the liklihood of opening a can of worms.

What is it with you people and worms, especially in a can?

The change was made so that when there was an injury which was obviously serious enough to demand immediate attention, the umpire has the authority, by rule, to stop play to attend to the injured player. In the past, this was not permitted and it was possible for an umpire who did stop play to lose a protest had that situation come up.

I think there is a question on the other side of the play here. What are you going to do when you kill the play, protect runners to a base and the so-called "seriously injured" player pops right up and walks to the dugout area?

Not so much in youth ball, but I wouldn't be surprised to see this in the adult SP field. Are you going to warn them not to do it again? Would you be willing to eject the player, or the coach who came screaming into the field of play not giving you much of a choice?

I will stay with what I have always done and when I see something I believe is that bad, I will kill the ball. But God help the SOB who fakes an injury in an attempt to avoid an out or protection to a base, 'cause their tail will not be there for very long.