View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 27, 2009, 09:37am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
For What it's Worth....

I am a referee, but was pressed into clock operator duties earlier in the yr for F/JV HS games.

One game, between two foul shots, V coach was asking for a TO and the refs didn't hear it/see it - for whatever reason. Since there was a dead ball between foul shots, I sounded the horn. R looked at me and came over to the table. I informed him what I had (coach requesting TO).

He granted the TO and told me never to do that again. I informed him that I thought I was part of the "referee team" and had infomation for him during a dead ball. He said it wasn't my job. I didn't argue the point, as I thought I was "helping." He disagreed.

When I came back home and looked it up in the 2008-09 NFHS Basketball Rules under Rule 2, Section 12, Timer's Duties, it certainly doesn't say anything about "being a helper."

Last edited by grunewar; Mon Apr 27, 2009 at 09:40am. Reason: Added specific section of Rule Book