Thread: Questions
View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 13, 2002, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Question 1: When a player is at the free throw line at what point has the thrower violated for stepping over the line? If the thrower steps over the line while bouncing the ball in preparation to shoot is it a violation or are they allowed to place their foot behind the line and still attempt the throw?

Your reference is 9-1-7. The player violates when the foot goes over the line. (For elementary games, I like to give a warning, if possible.) The violation occurs when the foot crosses the plane. (Not that the foot does not technically have to touch the floor on the other side of the line.

Question 2: Team A has a throw in from their frontcourt. A1 inbounds to A2. A2 has control in the front court. He mistakenly thinks the basket in his backcourt is his goal. A2 dribbles in for an uncontested layup in the opponents basket. Team A takes the ball out and play continues. The officials did not make a call (perhaps their judgement was A2 didn't have control in the frontcourt-who knows). If the officials recognized that an error was made in not calling the backcourt violation could they cancel the score as listed in the correctable errors section or is this not a correctable error?

There are better people to answer correctable error questions than me, but of course the basket should never have counted, as the ball would have become dead with A2's backcourt violation. However, I would translate 2-10-1-e, erroneously counting or canceling a score, as applying in this situation, and therefore cancel the score.

The real veterans on this board will be able to answer this one better than me!