View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 19, 2009, 05:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Then I guess the rule book is wrong, since that's were I quoted from.

The violation occurs because the pivot foot was moved outside prescribed limits.
Put it in this way: is there any situation when the official calls a travel just because a player lifts their pivot foot? I can't see any. (And that was the original question.) I quote again from you:
Quote:
Lifting the pivot foot and then starting a dribble is a traveling violation.
Does the violation come from lifting the pivot foot? No: it's a consequence of something done after that.

Quote:
So if a dribbler ends his dribble while straddling the division line, it's a violation in FEEBLE Rules? That's just stupid.
That's your reading of my message. There's no such rule in FIBA and a player can be straddling the division line without violating. All the rule say is that this player is both in the BC and the FC (and it's cause of problems, in my opinion, but that's not the question). This player can lift the foot in the BC, but not the foot in the FC. There are three cases: (1) the pivot foot has not been established by the rules (stationary player receiving the ball, or who has put both feet simultaneously on the ground); (2) the pivot foot has been established by the rules; (3) no foot can be pivot (jump stop).

In case (2) the foot in the FC can never be pivot, because when the pivot foot is established by the rule the player has ended their dribble; if the pivot foot is in the FC, putting down the other foot in the BC is a violation, because the ball has already FC status.

In all cases the player can lift the foot in the BC, be it the pivot or not; of course, a dribble can no more be started if that foot was pivot.

Quote:
Under NFHS, when dribbling, a player is not in the FC until all three points are in the FC.

Me thinks you have your FC and BC status mixed up.
Is a player a dribbler when they have ended their dribble? I dare say no. If the dribble ends when the player has their right foot in the frontcourt and their left foot in the air, are you sure the three point rule is still in force?

Ciao