View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 08, 2009, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Worked a HS game yesterday where the coach not only couldn't remember her changes, but had a hard time figuring out who was wearing what number.

About 45 seconds into the coach's memory lapse, the pitcher had used her warm-up allotment, I cleaned the PP, returned to my position, looked up and saw the coach FINALLY pull out a line-up card to help her.

The temps were in the low 40s with 20+ mph winds. There was no way I was telling this pitcher she had to just stand there.

I have a feeling this coach was the closest thing to an athletic female teacher at the school and was thrown into the coaching position. Team couldn't play for $hit, both pitchers were illegal and actually got worse as the game progressed.

I spent a portion of the game coaching the coaches of this team. Luckily, the opponent's staff understood as I kept them in the loop. The field did not have any lights and I wanted to get the game done while I could still feel my fingers and toes.

Told the assigner I need more money if I was going to umpire and coach at the same time.