View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 08, 2009, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Speaking ASA, if the umpire is engaged in other duties (substitutions, injuries, etc.), the pitcher is allowed to exceed the normal allotment of 5 (or 3 for SP). There's nothing in the book that says they HAVE to use F2 to catch the warm-up pitches, but I wouldn't feel right allowing another fielder to go behind the plate without the proper protective equipment. Personally, I think you'd be justified in prohibiting such action.

IF NCAA doesn't allow extra warm-up pitches (meaning "that's 5, and that's it, period.") when an umpire is engaged elsewhere, then I'd say what you did was merely preventative umpiring. Someone else will have to clarify that, though.

Oops, someone already did.
In ASA and NFHS, if a pitcher takes excess pitches when the umpire is busy, that's the umpire's fault for not being ready. The only time I would refuse to allow the extra pitches in those games is when the coach waited to tell me about the substitutions, and I think he did that to get extra warm-up (that MAY be what Wade's direction was about).

In the NCAA, the pitcher may not throw excess warmup pitches; there is no provision except in "a substantial delay". If I am asked if it is okay, and I agree it has been a delay, then I have no problem granting the request. If not asked, there has been no permission or tacit approval.

Throwing to another infielder, however, isn't a warm-up pitch; the NCAA defines a warmup pitch (Rule 1-119) as "Any pitch delivered to the plate during a suspension of play." That means we cannot refuse it, even if underhanded, even if without a mask, as long as it isn't delivered to the plate. This is the same rule application that allows catchers anywhere except behind the plate to refuse to wear a mask; only pitches thrown to the plate are monitored.

The only other way to legally refuse the extra throws is if the game is ready to continue, and she is delaying the game.