View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 04, 2009, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

For the purpose of who is paired with the FLEX player the DP is always the player who occupies the spot in the batting order designated on the starting lineup as the DP. If the player who is listed on the starting lineup as DP is playing a defensive position the DP's 'slot' in the batting order still has not changed.

If the player in the DP's slot in the batting order ever plays defense for the FLEX, the FLEX has left the game, even if the inning before the player listed in the DP's slot played somewhere on defense.

The FLEX can not bat anywhere in the lineup other than the spot designated as the DP on the starting lineup. Coaches will try this. "My DP is playing F6 and my starting F6 is now DP. My Flex is going to bat for the player who started at F6." NO, NO, NO!

Think of it this way. When the team is on offense there is only one spot in the lineup with a position attached, the DPs - all of the other stuff (F3, F6, etc. only matters when they are on defense). That spot in the starting lineup designated as DP is always the DP spot. If they go down to 9 by putting the flex in the DPs spot and then go back to 10 - the DP spot will be back where it started.

Sorry to be long winded. My point is that the DP's slot in the lineup never changes and that slot and the FLEX player always remained paired together.

Note: Yes - I've ignored the CR (you have to know who last played F1/F2 when a team is on offense to properly apply the CR rule).