View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 01, 2009, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) View Post
ozzy,

If the batter does not take a legal position in the batter's box as he prepares to receive the pitch, it most certanly IS the umpire's "duty" to instruct him to take a legal position.

Other than that, I concur with your comments.

JM
Although OBR 6.03 states that the batter shall have both feet within the batter's box, the MLBUM gives the first opportunity of notice to the defense (unless the batter is blatant about it). If brought to the umpire's attention, the umpire will instruct the batter to place himself properly in the batter's box. There is no penalty unless the batter refuses to get in the box. If the batter's position is blatantly out of the box, the umpire may instruct the batter to get into the box. Of course, if the batter hit a pitched ball while outside the box, he is to be declared out.

So, I would rather have the defense tell me and correct the batter because if unnoticed, I can get an out if he hits the ball! Unless he gets drilled by the pitch, in which case he will probably be in the strike zone and gets to stay at the plate (they hate when you do that to them).