View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 31, 2009, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
I am in the same school as Steve. I am a "no point" person, and have really never seen the need for it. Mentally I can prioritize without demonstrating to the rest of the world that I am doing so.
In full and open agreement here. If it is fair, you are pointing anyway. If foul, the mechanic is redundant. To me, killing the play should be the priority because if it is dead, no one really cares if you pointed foul prior to the dead ball signal. What are you going to do, point fair and then signal "dead ball"? Or maybe point foul and call nothing!

And if it is caught, who cares what side of the line it was on? It is an out, end of story.

Also, I don't buy the "status of the ball" BS for a second. I have been told by a RUIC that you determine the status of the ball in the air prior to the play. Huh?!?!

By the time you see the catch or ball land, you point and by the time you come with the hammer, the ball is back in the circle.

The ONLY time a point may be necesarry or advantageous to the participants is on a bobbled ball. Then I will point even though by the time I do, any runners will be halfway to the next base.