Thread: Offensive BI
View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 10, 2002, 02:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
At the rules clinic we had on Thursday, this question came up, but I disagree with the way it was answered. I want y'alls opinions.

New rule says that if B2 violates on the free throw, and then A1 violates, penalize only the first violation. Okay with BI on a free-throw now only a violation, you have this interesting scenario: B1 steps into the lane early, A2's shot hangs for a moment on the rim, and A3 steps and BI's. Do you count the basket?

Our commissioner (Howard Mayo) says yes. But that seems unbelievable. DeNucci? Anyone else?

(SNIP...SNIP...SNIP)

Heads up, everyone. I'm editting this as of Sunday afternoon. Howard called me today, and clarified what he said, which is that the basket DOES NOT count. A1 gets another shot, because of the violation by B1, but when A3 touches the ball, it becomes dead and no basket can be scored. This is not penalizing for the BI, but just pointing out that the ball was dead before it fell through, so there is no basket to count. Somehow, with all the noise and confusion at the clinic, I (and several others) mis-heard what he said. He asked me to correct it here, which I am very glad to do, especially since he's proving me right!

[Edited by rainmaker on Nov 10th, 2002 at 06:20 PM]