View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 31, 2009, 11:26am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoore View Post
It was very interesting and noteworthy that the lack of a fair number of African American officials in the 2009 NCAA men's division I tourney prompted Larry Rose, supervisor of the MEAC to send a note of concern to John Adams, the National Coordinator of Officials.

In response to Larry Rose's letter, Adams encouraged African American officials who also felt that this was a concern, to voice their opinions in writing. I wonder how many will actually put their feelings in writing.

There was an obvious lack of an African American presence in the Sweet 16 for sure. As many African Americans that play basketball, there should be greater representation of African American officials...especially since there are a very high number of QUALIFIED African American officials, who simply have not received their chance yet.

This is not a post to stir any racist comments...just a true reporting of what took place and hopefully a post that will stimulate good conversation and thoughts...

This is my first post...my next will be my letter to Adams (of course without my name). I think if any change will come about, it will be because of people like Larry Rose or other BIG TIME, BIG NAME African American officials. Hopefully, they realize that they have more influence than an African American official who has few years in division I or may not have the "name" yet. We'll see how much we (AA) stick together on this one...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpea View Post
for factual accuracy, here are the african-american officials who have worked in the Final Four going back 10 years:

Ed Hightower#
Tony Greene
Verne Harris

Tony Greene#
Verne Harris
Ted Valentine

Tony Greene#
Ed Hightower
Ted Valentine

Verne Harris#
Reggie Greenwood
Ed Hightower

Verne Harris#
Donnee Gray
Olandis Poole

Gerald Boudreaux#
Reginald Cofer#
Donnee Gray
David Libbey
Larry Rose

Tony Greene#
Ed Hightower
David Libbey

Gerald Boudreaux#
Tony Greene
David Libbey

Gerald Boudreaux#
Donnee Gray
Andre Patillo

Gerald Boudreaux#
David Libbey
Larry Rose

# indicates worked Championship Game
source: Final Four Record Book, pg. #25 ( http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/stats...nal%20Four.pdf )
The Final Four is 3 games. It is pretty clear that black referees have had a fair share of assignments at this level for the past 10 years.

Someone is trying to stir the pot. Where are the spanish officials? Asian? Indian?