View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 30, 2009, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Okay, let's summarize for everyone's clarity.

ASA currently (it hasn't always) prescribes to a point, fair or foul, on first touch of a fly ball near the line. If caught, whether fair or foul, it is followed with an "out" signal and verbal call. If uncaught when pointed fair, the fair point stands; if uncaught when pointed foul, it is followed up with a dead ball signal and verbal call of "foul".

NCAA does not want the first touch point. All caught fly balls are signaled and verbalized as "out'; the official scorekeeper can decide if they care if the ball was fair or foul (I predict that, if the NCAA mechanic changes, it will be for this reason, the all important statistic!!). Uncaught balls are either pointed fair, or verbalized as "foul", with a dead ball signal, no foul point.

Personally, I prefer the "no point" version; as it used to be in ASA, as well. I see extremely limited value in the first touch point; if runners can advance, their coaches should be directing them to, and both offense and defense should be playing as if the ball is fair, until it is called foul. Nonetheless, the current staff prescribes the point.