View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 30, 2009, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

How would you deal with this coach?

NSA, 14U B tournament. Everyone is learning; players, coaches, umpires.

Top of the first, I am OC and notice that the pitcher takes her signal with the ball and her hand in her glove, never seperates her hands, pitches.

I call time and aproach PU asking if the pitcher should be presenting the ball and he said "No, not in NSA". I shake my head and return to my box. I didn't say anything, but probably looked a bit disgruntled.

Top of the second, while Pitcher is warming up, PU and BU both have a talk with the pitcher and DC. From this point on the pitcher takes her signal with hands seperated and the ball in throwing hand. PU obviousely learned something between innings and let the pitcher and her coach know what it was. No word to me at all so I think I am correct.

That night I look at rules to learn that ball does not need to be presented but hands must be seperated before the pitch, so PU is technically correct. I am OK with that. Yay, I learned something new today!!!

My question to you is, would you have handled this the same way? ...or would you have also communicated the correct ruling to me?

As always, I appreciate your honest responses.