View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 27, 2009, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
I'm coaching a 12U rec team playing under USSSA. Our pitcher threw a pitch that the BR swung at and missed for strike 3. The catcher had to underhand the catch but the ball clearly hit his glove first, then bounced into the glove pocket (i.e., didn't hit the ground, then into the glove).

There was no indication of anything from the PU after the catch. I asked for time, the BU granted it, but the PU overruled and said no time granted.
First Things First

NO UMPIRE can Overrule a Call of TIME by another umpire. There is a saying Once one umpire calls TIME we all call TIME.

OBR 5.10 The ball becomes dead when an umpire calls “Time.”

Once the BU Granted (called) TIME , TIME is out and cannot be over-ruled. Now the PU doesn't have to coverse with his partner about the play, BUT TIME is still out and the ball has to be made live again.

As far as the BU making the call he would have to be 100% CERTAIN he saw the clean- catch which from your description would be tough to see from 100 feet away. it's very difficult especially when dirt is scurrying around all over the place to know for certain if the ball hit the dirt first or the glove.

This is one area in which the Defensive coach and Offensive coach takes the blame.

if you are on offense the coach should simply instruct his battter to AUTOMATICALLY take off for first base on this type of play.

The defense namely F2 simply needs to tag the BR "just in case"

So while the umpires might not have followed proper mechanics, in a nutshell this is the coaches fault. As mentioned all F2 needed to do was simply tag the BR END of story.

Pete Booth