The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 26, 2009, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Help on dropped 3rd strike

I'm coaching a 12U rec team playing under USSSA. Our pitcher threw a pitch that the BR swung at and missed for strike 3. The catcher had to underhand the catch but the ball clearly hit his glove first, then bounced into the glove pocket (i.e., didn't hit the ground, then into the glove).

There was no indication of anything from the PU after the catch. I asked for time, the BU granted it, but the PU overruled and said no time granted. I asked my pitcher to proceed, he toed the plate, the batter stepped into the box, then the PU called the batter out.

Once he did that I understood why he didn't grant time or call the out on strike three and was waiting for one of a couple things to happen:
  1. BR runs to 1B
  2. Our pitcher or catcher tags him
  3. BR "abandons" (don't know the right phrase) his right to advance due to dropped 3rd strike

My questions are -
  1. The BU saw the pitch go in the glove and not hit the ground (granted, I'm assuming this because if he saw the play the same way as the PU he wouldn't have granted time). I doubt the PU did because the catcher's body blocked him. Is there any signal, other than a lack of signal, to look for in the future so I can instruct my catcher look for it and know he has to tag the BR?
  2. Should he just tag him "in case"? I'm trying to avoid an unnecessary throw to 1B, potentially allowing base runners to advance, if possible.
  3. Is there any mechanic the BU can use to indicate the ball was caught and a tag isn't needed? In no way, shape, or form would I want to instruct officials before, during, or after the game. I guess I'm trying to figure out if there is supposed to be coordination between the two in that situation.

Thanks in advance.
Old Thu Mar 26, 2009, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
I'm coaching a 12U rec team playing under USSSA. Our pitcher threw a pitch that the BR swung at and missed for strike 3. The catcher had to underhand the catch but the ball clearly hit his glove first, then bounced into the glove pocket (i.e., didn't hit the ground, then into the glove).

There was no indication of anything from the PU after the catch. I asked for time, the BU granted it, but the PU overruled and said no time granted. I asked my pitcher to proceed, he toed the plate, the batter stepped into the box, then the PU called the batter out.

Once he did that I understood why he didn't grant time or call the out on strike three and was waiting for one of a couple things to happen:
  1. BR runs to 1B
  3. BR "abandons" (don't know the right phrase) his right to advance due to dropped 3rd strike

My questions are -
  1. The BU saw the pitch go in the glove and not hit the ground (granted, I'm assuming this because if he saw the play the same way as the PU he wouldn't have granted time). I doubt the PU did because the catcher's body blocked him. Is there any signal, other than a lack of signal, to look for in the future so I can instruct my catcher look for it and know he has to tag the BR?
  2. Should he just tag him "in case"? I'm trying to avoid an unnecessary throw to 1B, potentially allowing base runners to advance, if possible.
  3. Is there any mechanic the BU can use to indicate the ball was caught and a tag isn't needed? In no way, shape, or form would I want to instruct officials before, during, or after the game. I guess I'm trying to figure out if there is supposed to be coordination between the two in that situation.

Thanks in advance.
Everyone screwed up.

If the ball was caught then it's simple - call the strike and the out.

The PU obviously thought it was NOT caught or he would have called the out immediately.

If the ball wasn't caught then the PU should stand off to the side and wait for the light to go on in someone's head. There's no abandonment before reaching first. Even if you subscribe to Roder's "desertion" thought it shouldn't apply because the batter did not head for his position or the bench. At this level (12U rec) the PU could say "there's a play in progress guys".
Old Thu Mar 26, 2009, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Rufus, since you are a coach, I don't want to give you any secrets of the trade, however, in this case I'll share a simple trick both the Base Ump and Plate Ump can use. This is an advance mechanic that some will agree with and others may disagree with.

Ultimately, the decision rests with the plate umpire as he owns the battery.

The base ump can signal one way or the other if they are 100% sure what they saw and there may be some dispute. This signal is subtle and should not draw attention to the base umpire in any way and only should serve as help for the plate umpire in cases where they may have been screened out.

The Base ump can give an open palm or closed fist next to his hip. Open Palm = no catch, closed fist = catch. The Plate ump if unsure as to the status, can give a quick glance toward his partner in the field to determine which is which.
Old Thu Mar 26, 2009, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

1. BR runs to 1B

My questions are -

Thanks in advance.
"I'm coaching a 12U rec team playing under USSSA. Our pitcher threw a pitch that the BR swung at and missed for strike 3."

Never happen. BATTER RUNNER is a term that identifies the offensive player who has just finished his time at bat until he is put out or until the play on which he became a runner ends.

Bob
Old Thu Mar 26, 2009, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Help on dropped 3K

Quote:
Originally Posted by shickenbottom View Post
Rufus, since you are a coach, I don't want to give you any secrets of the trade, however, in this case I'll share a simple trick both the Base Ump and Plate Ump can use. This is an advance mechanic that some will agree with and others may disagree with.

Ultimately, the decision rests with the plate umpire as he owns the battery.

The base ump can signal one way or the other if they are 100% sure what they saw and there may be some dispute. This signal is subtle and should not draw attention to the base umpire in any way and only should serve as help for the plate umpire in cases where they may have been screened out.

The Base ump can give an open palm or closed fist next to his hip. Open Palm = no catch, closed fist = catch. The Plate ump if unsure as to the status, can give a quick glance toward his partner in the field to determine which is which.
This is the same mechanic used in our association and it works quite well. BTW, if you are "discussing" this with PU, I would never use the argument that you saw the BU do this or didn't.
Old Thu Mar 26, 2009, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

nopachunts
Would never think of it. I referee HS basketball and can appreciate trade secrets. Was more curious if there was any kind of mechanic for umpires.

bluezebra
Would the correct term be Batter, then (since it was a caught strike three)? Not trying to get picky, just wanting to use the correct term. Thanks.
Old Thu Mar 26, 2009, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

Simple solution. Teach your catcher to make a tag when the pitch is low. "Make sure of the out." I assume you coach that...same idea.

Your "batter" swung at and missed...the "B/R" stood there (because apparently PU thought it was a D3K) - answering since you asked.
Old Thu Mar 26, 2009, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

Angel fans call this the-play-that-got-catcher-Josh-effin'-Paul-shipped-to-Tampa.
Old Thu Mar 26, 2009, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Correct mechanic around here is "strike, no catch" while giving a hammer and followed by a safe signal, if that is what PU is thinking. It should not be a mystery to anyone. Strike is not followed by out signal because there is not one yet.
Old Fri Mar 27, 2009, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Just to clarify "abandon" (OP's words) in this case.

6.09(b) Comment: A batter who does not realize his situation on a third strike not caught, and who is not in the process of running to first base, shall be declared out once he leaves the dirt circle surrounding home plate.

Note that this is different than in FED where the BR is not declared out until he enters dead ball territory (in most cases, the dugout or bench area).
Old Fri Mar 27, 2009, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]
Quote:

There was no indication of anything from the PU after the catch. I asked for time, the BU granted it, but the PU overruled and said no time granted.
First Things First

NO UMPIRE can Overrule a Call of TIME by another umpire. There is a saying Once one umpire calls TIME we all call TIME.

OBR 5.10 The ball becomes dead when an umpire calls “Time.”

Once the BU Granted (called) TIME , TIME is out and cannot be over-ruled. Now the PU doesn't have to coverse with his partner about the play, BUT TIME is still out and the ball has to be made live again.

As far as the BU making the call he would have to be 100% CERTAIN he saw the clean- catch which from your description would be tough to see from 100 feet away. it's very difficult especially when dirt is scurrying around all over the place to know for certain if the ball hit the dirt first or the glove.

This is one area in which the Defensive coach and Offensive coach takes the blame.

if you are on offense the coach should simply instruct his battter to AUTOMATICALLY take off for first base on this type of play.

The defense namely F2 simply needs to tag the BR "just in case"

So while the umpires might not have followed proper mechanics, in a nutshell this is the coaches fault. As mentioned all F2 needed to do was simply tag the BR END of story.

Pete Booth
Old Fri Mar 27, 2009, 11:05am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
Angel fans call this the-play-that-got-catcher-Josh-effin'-Paul-shipped-to-Tampa.
Well Angel's fans are a curious bunch anyways...with their monkey mascot and all.
Old Fri Mar 27, 2009, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Well Angel's fans are a curious bunch anyways...with their monkey mascot and all.
I'm not one of the monkey guys. Strictly a red shirt guy ... no monkey, no thunder sticks.
Old Fri Mar 27, 2009, 12:49pm
Archaic Power Monger

That's a relief...and I'm still not bitter from the 2002 World Series at all...
Old Fri Mar 27, 2009, 12:57pm
Stop staring at me swan.

"closed fist = catch"

what does an open fist look like?