View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 21, 2009, 02:19pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Don't Think We Really Disagree ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
If they're sliding, that trail foot needs to stay over the spot, and seriously, how many times to do you see a player stretch to one side while keeping the trail foot over the spot? It would put the thrower into such an awkward position.
I'm not really talking about stretching, and I apologize if I implied that. When I was a player, I was coached, and when I was a coach, I coached my players to step into their pass, be it a chest pass, a bounce pass. You're right about Manute Bol possibly taking more than three lateral feet just standing out of bounds holding the ball in his normal stance, which is probably why the rule is written the way it is, to allow inbounders, especially those with some unobstructed depth behind them, to take a normal step toward where they intend their pass to go. Maybe Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. can tell us more about Dr. Naismith's intent with this rule, since we can't ask the good doctor himself, may he rest in peace, if it's possible for his soul to rest in peace during the month of March?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)