View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 21, 2009, 10:28am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Juulie Downs: Well put. This should be printed, enlarged, and posted in every sports bar for the next two weeks.
I worked a boys varsity game in a small town rivalry that went to the buzzer and we got the DVD. The visiting team was well coached in the jump stop and listening to the announcers was hilarious. They acknowledged the legality of the jump stop, but called it a "jump step" the entire game and then told everyone how much they hated it, especially on a play where the kid jumped off one foot and was fouled coming down into the jump stop (the defender stepped in and the kid with the ball pretty much landed on him).

That said, we did miss one during the game -- the feet came down very fast and only with a number of replays did it become obvious the feet didn't come down simultaneously when they needed to, by rule. It was in a tough place to get 2-person, but it's one thing I need to work at next year -- moving more aggressively to get angles as the trail in these types of situations.