View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 20, 2009, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dave30
Jump stop/pivot/step

I know it is travelling if a player does a jump stop and then takes a step or pivots. It is also travelling if a player's feet do not land simultaneously.

Is this rule different in college?

I saw a Wisconsin player do a jump stop. The left foot may have hit the ground a split second before the right foot. I could see missing that. But, then he took a step with his right foot and made the shot. No call was made.

Is there a lot more leniency on player's going to the basket in college? Is the rule different from high school?

Just wondering because this is the call I have the most trouble with in high school. Player's sometimes jump and go to the basket with two big steps and it's legal, but sometimes it is a jump stop and it's travelling when they step. Does it have to do with picking up the ball before jumping or keeping the dribble alive and grabbing the ball while in the air?

Can anyone explain it in a way that will help me get this call right every time?

The other tough call for me is deciding when a player lowers his shoulder on a move and the defender gets position and flops after no contact (or minor contact). Sometimes it looks like a player control foul but it really isn't and sometimes it is a foul due to the contact. It's hard to tell the difference sometimes.

Last edited by dave30; Fri Mar 20, 2009 at 11:23pm.