View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 20, 2009, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
I agree, especially with older players who can reach them.

But I guess it still begs the question - where do you draw the line between not playing the game, and playing the game while sending a report to the state association or your assigner? Obviously, it would be hard to play the game without a ball or rims. But we would still play if there was incorrect padding on the backboards, or if there was not a shadow line through the logo painted at center court. Where do nets fall in this question?
For the nets:

To be honest it would depend on the level of the game and how bad the net is. If it is a school game and the net is completely missing I would have the coach contact the AD to have a new one put up. Chances are that in a school they have an extra net or can take one off the side rims. In a rec league, I would play the game but let the coordinator know that they need to have a net there, hopefully this would be able to be done in a timely manor, like next day or so depending on location of the court, IE school, ymca, or public park, or rec center.

High School Varsity or JV I would have them put a net up. It likely can be done very easily and would only delay the game for a few minutes. Plus, the school should have known that it needed a new net all day. They already had time to fix this issue.

Padding,

If it is a suspended backboard, as I assume most are for high school, then it likely only needs padding on the bottom and a little ways up on the side, Don't remember the exact amount. Hopefully it is there and just needs to be taped to the backboard. Here depending on the level I may not play. If I have concerns that someone will hit their head when attempting to dunk or block a shot I may draw the line here.

Makings on the court,

Really the only ones that I worry about during a scholastic game are the coaching box and the X for the timer. Apart from that I take the floor as it is given to me. I may tell the coach or AD that the floor markings should be changed but I understand that is expensive and likely will not get done for the current season. I may also tell my assignor as he could tell those higher up and make sure that markings on the court are as required for future play.